Monday, March 10, 2008

Tales from a Kitchen Rookie

I will begin with a quote from the Today show (my guilty pleasure in the morning):

“Good morning, good morning, everyone in the news this morning, good morning”

~No one has such finesse for words as Ann Curry.


This week I am switching gears a little and talking about something that I would love to be invented, rather than looking into solutions that are, or will soon be, available.


A little background:

I love cooking because it makes me feel like a domestic goddess when I’m all finished; unfortunately, the scene while I’m actually doing the cooking is far from holy. I am incredibly clumsy and am a minor dyslexic; so I tend to spill boiling water, drop pans, cut my fingers, and read most measurements incorrectly. Sounds like it may be a lost cause, but I am not one to give up. I believe that much of my clumsiness arises from the rushed feeling I tend to get while cooking. There are always a few pots on the stove and something in the oven while I’m still at the cutting board furiously chopping and slicing other ingredients. This often causes sauces to burn, pasta to stick to the bottom of the pan, and vegetables turn into mushy messes. So last time I was cooking I came up with an idea that I thought I’d share today.


I think it would be extremely helpful if there was a pot that stirred itself. At the bottom of the pot would be a rotating device that would keep food from sticking to the bottom of the pot and to itself. This way all those trips from the preparation area to the stove would be cut down and less food will be spoiled and/or spilled. They would also be useful in blending the sauce together with the pasta at the end of all the cooking. Since the pots will already need to have a little power in them, I think that there should also be a timer embedded in the handle. That way each item has its own timer and nothing will be over cooked.


Below is a rough picture so you can get an idea of what I'm imagining: (the pink pots are optional)

Some specifications:
  • Must be like a normal pot that can be placed on the stove (not a separate device)
  • Dishwasher safe
  • Either comes with small recharging station or rechargeable batteries
  • Stirrers can be turned on or off while the timer is still functional


And just for fun, here are some links to cooking tools/ sites that I like:


Good Chopping Knife with Bowl


Food Network Recipes


How-to guide to a ton of Recipes

Cool Kitchen Gadgets



Have a wonderful day and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

WICK said...

You better run with this idea - as a terrible cook but one that would love as much help as I can get, I totally would purchase this thing. Also, instead of a pot with this in it, perhaps the device could be an adjustable fan type device that would be placed into any pot? That way your market is not people looking for new pots, but rather the market of people who already own pots... just a thought.

Nathan said...

Maybe it could be somehow implemented into a completely new line of stovetops somehow...specialized pots and pans, with the power and gears built into the stove itself. Also, this way maybe you could have the timer shut off the gas/electricity too.